Thursday, August 6, 2009

Does it get any easier?

So last year I started running because cool boss talked me into doing the Wastach Back Ragnar Relay. Let me clarify one small detail: before March 2008 the last time I did any real running was about 16 years ago, you know, when I was 12 or so. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not a runner. I will admit to not being consistant (again, not a real runner) and I sucked when "running" the Ragnar Relay. Now when I say "running" I mean a combination of walking and jogging. I am also slow, meaning I'm pushing about 15 minute miles.

This year, because I again decided to do the Ragnar Relay (yes, I am crazy) I wanted to try and do a little better. It's not about winning, it's about finishing. Anyway, I started working out and taking a mixture of fitness classes, which includes Step, Pilates, Cycling and Power Tone. I really liked all the classes and I believe those classes have helped me. I also was running. So this year I have been able to run up to a mile before I have to walk. For me, that is a big improvement. I felt like I did better this year and was pretty consistant.

Where is this going, you might ask. Well, we decided to sign up for the Las Vegas Ragnar Relay (did I mention we are crazy?). In preparation for this my husband has began helping me train. He did this last year also, but didn't get the chance before the first Ragnar Relay this year because he was recovering from surgery. His patience is amazing. Isn't is incredible how one person can how so much influence over you (in a good way)? Today and yesterday I have gone about a mile and a quarter before walking.

In explaining all of this I have one question.: Does it get any easier? It feels like I'm not making any process. I am not a natural runner. Running in this heat is also very difficult I don't know how some people do it. I don't plan on doing any marathons, but if I could run a 5k I woukld be pleased. One problem is that in order to do this I need to be motivated (I also accepted bribes). Meaning I have to run with someone else (e.g. husband, friends) or else I just can't get into it. It's a bad personality flaw I know, but until reading becomes a form of exercise then that's what I got to go on.

But really, does it get any easier?

No comments: