Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Pledge....

Okay, even though I would like to I don't get very politically here. Politically topics always lead to arguments because nobody agrees 100% on anything. Personally I hate all politicians and think we need term limits for Congress members. I think if we start running things on more local levels things would actually get done.

Anyway, the reason for my posting is this YouTube video that has been shown in some schools. I've seen a couple of videos like it, but not this one. It's called "I, Pledge." The video is made by the BO administration and it features many celebrities talking about how they pledge to do some nice for others or good for the Earth. Whatever, haven't we all been told we should be nice. (Until we realize that people suck and no one is as nice as they seem.)

I have two major problems with the video. First, is all the celebrities. I have no respect for celebs. They are all immoral hypocrites. Even though I know it happens and will always happen I don't think it is right for kids to worship them. This video is just reaffirming that sad reality. Don't get me wrong, it's okay to like the "work" they "do," but idol worship is a bit much. I believe that parents need to teach their children this. I know responsibility is hard, but isn't that one of the challenges of being a parent? Why not try and get parents involved in making a I, Pledge video?

Secondly, I have a very big problem when during the course of the video a couple of the celebs pledge to serve Barack Obama. That is exactly what they said: "I pledge to serve Barack Obama." I find this disturbing. No one should every pledge to serve any politician. You can pledge to serve your country or your fellow man, but never one person. Would you pledge to serve George W. Bush? Hell, no. And no one would have put up with that if it was said a year or more ago. This is no better than my in-laws neighbors telling them they have an obligation to serve the LDS church because they were baptized. You shouldn't have to be manipulated to believe in something. Irritating.

Don't be nice because a politician or celebrities tell you to. Be a good person because it's the decent thing to do.

Pledge to educate yourself , through school and independently.
Pledge to be aware of what is going on around you.
Pledge to respect others and others' opinions even when you disagree with them. (Yeah, that's a hard one.)
Pledge to listen.
And always pledge to be your best.

No comments: